S2S FLOAT COAT – LIQUID PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE
S2S Float Coat is a long lasting,
cost effective solution for
combating corrosion in tight &
S2S Float Coat was specially designed to meet
the following criteria
- It floats on top of water (forming a continuous
layer on the surface), polar bonds to metal it
comes into contact with and displaces water
- It surpassed the US Navy Mil Spec 16713 salt
spray test requirements (323 hours) by lasting
500 hours in a salt spray chamber. This success
can be attributed to S2S Float Coat’s ideal
viscosity; it is thin enough to float in a
continuous layer on the water yet thick enough
to protect metal from rust for a lengthy period
- Its water discharge meets the environmentally
strict standards set by the state of California,
which means that 90% of the discharge from
an S2S float coat can be safely pumped into the
ocean. The final 10% should be recovered and
disposed of in accordance with local
FLOAT COAT - MARITIME SUBMARINES
The Canadian Navy used S2S Plid Float Coat on their submarine rudders.
PLID Float Coat Available Sizes
- 20 litre pail (5 gal)
- 205 litre drum (55 gal)
Float Coat Application Guide
Personal Protection Equipment
Organic vapour respirator cartridge, Tyvek suit,
non-slip oil resistant gloves, safety glasses or
protective eyewear, work boots.
S2S PLID Float Coat Procedure
- S2S PLID Float Coat (PLID FC) procedure will yield 100% coverage of all contacted surfaces in one operation.
- The unit being coated can be damp on the inside before installation of PLID FC.
- PLID FC will attach to the surface at approximately 1 mil.
- Calculate the volume of material required for a 1 mil coat on all surfaces. Coverage per gal of
PLID FC at 1 mil. = 280 square feet.
- To this volume, add additional 20% PLID FC so several inches remain on the surface
of the water after it has been drained down.
- Gently add water (preventing excess turbulence) until the unit is completely filled so
PLID FC contacts the top of the unit. Drain out the water, leaving the extra PLID FC in the unit.
Calculation for Amount of Float Coat required
S2S coverage for Float Coat is 4.8M2 per Litre and so a 20 Litre Pail will coat around 96M2 and a 205 Litre Drum 984M2 but add 20% volume to your calculation for the procedure to ensure sufficient is in the confined space being coated.
Procedure for units with heavy rust scale
- Proceed as above but allow more time and
volume of PLID FC to soak into the rust scale. A
second up & down cycle may be prudent.
- Note: Be aware, after a few months the
rust scale will delaminate and begin falling off,
which may cause clogging of pump screens
A second application may be required after
a year or so as most rust scale will have fallen
off, leaving unprotected metal.
- Note: The PLID FC that is left sitting in the
bottom of the unit will seep and cover bare
spots that may be caused as minor rust scales
detach and fall off. In this manner, self-healing
will continuously occur.
- PLID FC may be used as a liquid descaler.
Apply as above and check in a year’s time.
S2S Float Coat Alternative Method for Applying is as follows:
- Fill the area up almost to the top with water. Pour in the required amount of S2S and allow to settle then slowly pump in water from the bottom until the S2S reaches the top of the compartment or void space.
- With this method you do not have to wait for the S2S to all float back up to the top.
- Now slowly pump out the water from the bottom.
- The S2S will coat on the way down.
- When the S2S reaches the pump inlet shut down the pump unless you want to pump out remaining S2S.
Bolts, Flanges, Pipes and Pipe Lines
- S2S PLID INDUSTRIAL
- Flange painting spec. If the flanges are to be
painted, a porous paint should be used so S2S
can penetrate through to the surface of the
- A cheap primer works well.
- The procedure below is the same for painted or
- Apply a heavy coat of S2S on the face of the
flanges to be mated.
- Apply in the flange bolt holes and on the
flange around the holes where the bolt head
and washers will seat.
- Coat all bolts (under the heads as well) and
washers (if any) and install through holes in
- Coat any washers, going under the nuts and
- Once completed as above, it is good practice
to coat the entire exterior of the flange
assembly with S2S PLID Industrial.
- NOTE: Torque specifications will need to be
adjusted for lubricated bolts.
- S2S works well as an assembly lube on O-rings
and others requiring an assembly lube.
- NOTE: If the piping has a CP system installed,
a check to be sure the current is passing through the joint is necessary; if it is not
passing through, a jumper may need to be
- If the entire pipeline is coated with S2S,
there is no need for cathodic protection
for the exterior of the piping.
- To ensure long term protection and a thorough
coating of the inner fibers, an initial application
of S2S PLID Thin is recommended.
- S2S PLID Industrial can be used as a top
coating for harsher environments.
- Can be treated by spraying during cable
- Can be dunked in a tank or drum of S2S.
- Some customers leave cable soaking in a tank
when cable not in use, during off season.
- S2S will keep cable lubricated and fully flexible
and does not need to be removed like
traditional cable grease.
- S2S may be sprayed or brushed on chains.
- S2S will creep into the difficult to reach areas
- One application method is to use a crane to
hoist chain above a tank and slowly lower the
chain as the links are coated.
- Another method is to lay chain out on a
plastic sheet and apply on the ground with
brush or sprayer, then flip the chain to
coat opposite side.
- Do not over coat the chain or excess product
will become airborne during deployment.
- S2S PLID Industrial may be applied over
existing paint and rust.
Electrical & Electronics
- Apply S2S directly to circuit boards.
- Apply S2S to wires and breakers with power
- S2S should eliminate electrical and electric
failure due to corrosion.
- If untreated electronics are accidently
submerged in water, keep in water until able to
treat with S2S PLID Thin film, then remove
electronics from water and spray with S2S
PLID Thin film until coated. This will displace
moisture and salt, keeping the item rust free.
For further advice about the range of PLID Float Coat, PLID HD Thick Film, PLID Thin Film, Industrial Thick Film or PLID Wrap, give us a call on (03) 9587 6022
or drop us a line! EMAIL US